Chak – hao in Manipur
The forbidden black rice was only meant for the royalty as it had high nutritional value!
Soaking time: 6 hours (approx an hour)
Serves: 2 – 4 (depending on number of helpings you eat)
A dash of love, and music for your soul
- 100 grams black rice grown organically and sold at reasonable prices by Kisaan Maitreya.
- Full cream, preferably A2 milk 5-6 cups
- 1 tsp organic green or yellow cardamom, peeled and crushed
- A pinch of cinnamon, a smaller piece of sea salt
- White big granules sugarcoated/ brown sugar/ raw sugar/ palm sugar/ jaggery – as per taste and preference
- Start grooving, humming, moving, dancing and wash the black rice thoroughly and soak for 6 hours. Drain thoroughly.
- Bring milk to boil, add the soaked black rice. Allow to simmer, while stirring. When rice is soft and edible, add sweetener and cook for a couple of minutes. Garnish with cardamom.
- Be creative – use saffron, dry fruits, any suitable ingredient if called upon.
- Serve & consume. Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the fridge, nine days old.
Do you know someone who might like this recipe? Please share this post with them.
Be well, be happy! Stay tuned, With love from-
Your Food Mitra,